Early Childhood Education consists of activities and / or experiences that are designed to effect developmental changes in children prior to their entry into elementary school. Most children benefit from a well-organized and responsive early years program. Rocket Academy & Early Learning Centre offers a learning environment that is in line with the Ministry of Education policies, pedagogy and curriculum. The following are a list of Ministry documents we reference in our programs:
- How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years
- Ontario Early Years Framework
- Ontario Early Learning Framework
- Think, Feel, Act: Lessons from research about young children
Rocket Academy ELC also uses the Emergent Curriculum as a way of planning activities that are based on the children’s interest and passion at a certain point in time. Children thrive and learn best when their interests are captured. Children make their own choices about materials and activities during program time. As they pursue these choices they explore, ask questions, develop problem solving skills, interact with peers, educators, students on placements and other adults.
Children are competent, capable, curious and Rich in potential.
At Rocket Academy ELC we recognize that each child is unique and they bring their own set of skills and strategies to our program. We ensure each child is encouraged and given the opportunities to explore their surroundings while feeling safe and secure. We want your child to be comfortable in their surroundings; where they feel at home.
We understand that every child learns differently and develops at their own pace. We also recognize the vital role families play in ensuring the health and well-being of children and family members of all ages. As professionals we acknowledge emotional, social, and developmental supports are integral components of a child’s growth and development. We respect each child and their family’s innate strengths and view the child care experience as an opportunity to build on these strengths while supporting families with their care giving and decision-making process.
Our goals for children are consistent with the Ministry of Education pedagogy and include the following:
- Every child has a sense of belonging when he or she is connected to other and contributes to their world
- Every child is developing a sense of self, health and well-being
- Every child is an active and engaged learner who explores the world with body, mind and senses.
- Every child is a capable communicator who expresses himself or herself in many ways.
When the children leave our program at the end of the day, they feel proud of what they have accomplished and learned. At Rocket Academy ELC we strive to ensure all children feel good about the lasting friendships being made and they eagerly anticipate returning each day. Rocket Academy & Early Learning Centre is a place where children can just be kids!.
Optimal child development and growth is a continuous journey which is facilitated by the support, guidance and interactions of the adults in the child’s world. At Rocket Academy ELC our team of qualified and dedicated Registered Early Childhood Educators and Certified Teachers facilitates enriching daily activities which are developed through the interest of each child. These daily activities both indoor and outdoor serve to promote:
- The health, safety, nutrition and overall wellbeing of each child enrolled
- Positive interactions supporting positive and responsive interactions among children, parents, childcare providers and staff
- Self-Regulation ~ encouraging children to interact and communicate in a positive way that supports their ability to self-regulate
- Exploration experiences to foster inquiry and play or vice versa
- Child initiated experiences, which are at times unstructured to encourage individual expression, and structured activities, which are adult supported experiences to provide guidance.
- Positive learning environment that supports a plan which is positive with consideration for all developmental levels and any supports required for indoor and outdoor experiences.
- Activities ~ incorporate indoor & outdoor play, as well as active play, rest and quiet time, into the day, and give consideration to the individual needs of the children receiving child care.
- Parent Engagement ~ foster the engagement of and ongoing communication with parents about the program and their children.
- Community Partners ~ involve local community partners and allow those partners to support the children, their families and staff.
- Professional Learning ~ support staff, or others who interact with the children at a child care centre in relation to continuous professional learning.
- Documentation and Review of Impact ~ document and review the impact of the strategies on the children and their families.